September 29, 2010

What Is Your Strength?

I want to tell you a little story today.

It was in May 2006 when I lost one of my best friends. We grew up together and our moms were best friends since college. Her family came to visit our home in Utah, from Texas, for the blessing of my older sister's new baby girl. Meridith and I were heading to the mall on saturday and I was texting while I was driving. She told my mom... I didn't really get in trouble, but I got a good talking to. I so wasn't happy and was mad at Meridith for telling. And for that, I didn't talk to her the rest of the time she was there. I wanted her to know how mad I was... How mad I was at something that was SO dumb and insignificant. Really I was just showing her how prideful I was.

When the weekend was over and we were all saying goodbye, I refused to hug her. I was still mad but she still gave me a hug, only I just stood there with my arms down and said nothing as she told me goodbye and that she loved me. Stupid pride... I will never forget that day now, and at this point I can't take it back.

Within the next couple weeks we got a call from her mom. I remember standing in my sisters kitchen, putting hot pads in the drawer, when the phone rang. It was one of those calls that you don't think you'll EVER get. Meridith had passed away due to a car accident she had been in. I just started crying, thinking of the last time I saw her, thinking about her not being there anymore, wondering how this could happen and why her!?

That is a day that I will never forget. But I am so happy to know that I will get to see her again. That this life isn't the end. It's been over 4 years now and she is a big reason I am where I am now. I don't think I'd be on a mission today if it hadn't been for her example and my desire to make her proud. She is a strength to me each day. I try to live so that I will get to see her again. And its through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that I will be able to do that. What a blessing!

She lives on with the beautiful smile and same wonderful personality. She is one of a kind and even though her time was short on earth, she made a difference in more ways than she knew. She's still one of my best friends and I can't wait to see her again.

She is my strength.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to remind us that life is too precious and short to miss opportunities to show each other how much we love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this about Meridith. I know it was tough. Its always good to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete